Thursday, March 25, 2010

Take the 's' out of Fa's't Food

Yup, that's it, my topic for Eating Out in Edmonton, fa's't food bashing. Call it for what it really is, and really just how good do we feel after chomping down on a burger, fries and a supersized pop? Pass me the Zantec?

The fight is on south of the border healthcare and their fast food isses should be part of it, because they do go together. Whether they keep this bill or not isn't my topic of concern. I did hear something interesting that is included in the bill that I thought was an excellent idea. Part of the plan will force restaurants, that being fast food, so perhaps I misuse the word 'restaurant' to post the number of calories beside the item on the menu. This way the consumer gets to see how many calories are really in that bacon, double bacon burger. Excellent idea. In a country where they are complaining about McDonalds in elementary schools, overweight children are the norm and chefs like Jamie Oliver are going in to teach people how to eat at home, it's a very good idea indeed.

So why am I weighing in on the subject, excuse the pun? I saw something I consider tragic yesterday morning when I was out for my morning Mall Walk. An extremely overweight gentleman standing in front of one of those fa's't food places ordering a breakfast sandwich, hash brown, etc. This poor man was so large his hands appeared miniscule next to his body. From the side view his body was round. He was about to have the better part of his calorie consumption for the day, certainly the saturated fat part of it in one meal.

It is too easy to blame the chains, golden arches, etc everywhere and unfortunately it is too easy just to grab something quick, I've done it. Good food has to be prepared, it takes time. You can't have it in 30 seconds or less. Good food is also more expensive. American families interviewed on TV said they could feed a family at a fast food chain for less than $15 but a good meal at home might be $25 or more. In tough economic times fast food is cheap food. When I looked at that man yesterday I have to think at what cost? We tell ourselves things aren't as bad in Canada, certainly not in Alberta but ever driven past any burger joint and seen a empty drive through or no cars in the parking lot, at any time of day? Almost matches the numbers of cars parked in hospital parking lots.

That really is what we are coming to, diabetes on the rise in record numbers, a hugely overtaxed medical system. The signs are everywhere, plus sized clothes shops springing up, thousands of hits on the web if you Google anything involving weight, every type of diet imaginable available to purchase. TV programs dedicated to helping women beat off enough weight so they won't blow out the zipper on their wedding dress. All because we refuse to think about what we put in our mouths on a daily basis. A doctor interviewed on CTV last night commented that an hour of exercise a day won't make a bit of difference in our weight or health until we think about what we consume.

So that is my rant. There are so many wonderful places to eat in Edmonton and that includes your kitchen. Eat well, and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment