Friday, April 9, 2010

Dining for Charity

This is what happens at 4 am when I can't sleep and I am working on a plan. In this case I was thinking about an event I am doing this summer. I am walking in the Weekend to End Women's Cancers in August. Something I am passionate about having lost family and friends to this disease. Doing just the one day, the 30 km distance, since I know I won't be able to do two days of walking and that's okay. Everybody does their bit. This cause became particularly important to me when my husband was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. Not just a woman's cancer obviously but what benefits one benefits all.

This is my second time with the Weekend to End Women's Cancer. First time I was crew, one of the team who went out and marked the route. Then bringing in the last of the walkers on the second day, the ones who just could not finish the route. That was a truly amazing experience, meeting survivors, meeting people walking for those who hadn't made it. It was a hugely emotional few days. The closing ceremonies were an emotional experience. We ran in as a team down the centre, surrounded by the cheering walkers. Everyone had a different t-shirt, pink for walkers, yellow for crew and blue for survivor walkers. The sea of blue, so many saved and still not enough, not an experience I will ever forget and I am back to do it again.

So what is the point of this? It was suggested to me that a brilliant idea for fundraising was a dinner. Host a meal and invite friends and family to come partake and donate at the same time. What an awesome idea. So now the work is on, create a menu, create an information presentation on the Walk and what that is all about and then cook a whole bunch of food. What a way to raise money for my Walk.

Food is a wonderful way to bring people together. We eat together for so many reasons and in so many different ways. Almost event in people's lives is closely connected to food. It just makes sense to make that part of my fundraising efforts.

So now I have to pick a country, something interesting the people haven't tried that is a little off the standard fare. I am thinking Spain, ah Paella, sangria, the list of wonderful food from the country is endless. That could be good. So now I have to plan, budget, invite and enjoy. Create a street event, that would work. Have all the neighbours out plus their friends. Make it a huge event.

No comments:

Post a Comment