Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rochford Bridge

If you have driven past Mayersthorpe you have driven under the trestle bridge and past the Trading Post. Lots of changes at the Trading Post over the past 3-4 years since Andy and Michelle purchased it and started their renovations. The entire building is charming, I always find something tempting in the gift shop, so so much better. Tonight on our drive back to Edmonton Mom and I stopped in to take a break and decided to stay for supper. The decor in the restaurant is unique and I find it warm and cosy. Unfortunately that is where the compliments stop. We were seated by a very indifferent young lady. I was about to flag her to ask for a menu when she returned with them. She was also very generous with the time to review the menu and make our selection. It was almost a full house so I don't know if that had anything to do with the slow service on a Sunday night but I do know when patrons at other tables lean towards you to ask how long you have been waiting for your food, it hasn't been a good night in the house. Really hope that tonight is the exception, not the rule. We ordered soups and sandwiches, just a light supper, Grilled Cheese and BLT. After 35 minutes I waved at the other server and asked if our food was coming soon. The table to our right had receive their food and they had come in after us but the 4 top to the left had come in before both of us and they were still waiting. The other server came to say our food was ready and Mom's Grilled Cheese and Broccoli Cheese Soup appeared. As the server put it down I looked at Mom's plate and was dismayed to see the half bowl of Broccoli Cheese sitting in a rounded lump in the bowl. She said it tasted like it had too much thickening but I hazard a guess that it was at the bottom of a soup tureen that had been sitting on the heat for a quite a while and the server had just scooped into the bowl and called it soup. Mom ate it but I would have returned it. At the four top they were also concerned to see just a wrap on two of their plates, apparently the kitchen had run out of fries. I didn't see it but Mom also said the cheese in her sandwich was processed but the menu said cheddar. .She had finished her soup and half her sandwich before mine came. The BLT was really hot so I know it was just off the press but the soup had cooled while they waited for the sandwich to grill. I had ordered the Gumbo Creole for my soup. I was dismayed to discover it was pre-made soup. With the quality of the gift shop and the decor I was really expecting much more. I don't like giving such a negative rating but everything went downhill from the time we entered the restaurant and we were not the only ones complaining. One table said that it seemed like our server, the indifferent one, had one speed, slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment