Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Eat to Live or Live to Eat

Ah the age old question. For me, Live to Eat and proud of it. I love food but unfortunately it doesn't always love me so I adjust or say ah well a little discomfort is worth it.
So this blog has been about eating out but I don't get to eat out as often as I would like. So I have decided to digress a little from my original theme. I want to talk about food, cooking it, eating it, just plain enjoying it. Now I know that being chief cook and bottle washer in a Bistro doesn't make me an expert and I don't claim to be. But I have an opinion, a little bit of skill and besides, it's my blog. So I get to have something of a say and you get to make comments, share your thoughts or hit the delete button.

So the subject of the week for me is real. Real food doesn't come out of a box and I don't mean just packaged frozen dinners but things like frozen pie crust. Okay so pie isn't the greatest thing for us, but once in a while... With all the fresh fruit coming into the stores don't you just feel like having pie?

Did you know that if you put a bit a butter, sugar and flour into a food processor and pulse just a few times you have the beginnnings of pie crust. In this case Pate Sucree, in seconds. Just stir in the ice water, knead together for a about 60 seconds then throw it in the fridge wrapped in plastic to chill. All of that was just about as fast as digging in the freezer for one of those white frozen disks. If you don't have the recipe for Pate Sucree you can Google it. It will be amazing. Put your kids or husband to work peeling a couple of apples. Make up a little Oatmeal topping, like you put on Apple Crisp. Add a little extra cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg on the apples with the sugar your recipe suggests and bake. Your family will think you are amazing. Oh and don't forget to send hubbie out for the ice cream.

Laura
Bistro
Ellerslie Gift & Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment